PREFACE Event Essay
You’ll attend 2 PREFACE events this semester and write an essay about each one.
- Due date: No later than 1 week after the event. You must attend at least one event no later than October 9.
- Choice of events: For a complete and current schedule, point your web browser to http://www.uscupstate.edu/preface and scroll down.
- Submission instructions: Submit via Blackboard. Click on “Assignments” and then choose “PREFACE essay”
- Length: 300 to 450 words
- Format: MLA Style
This assignment provides you with practice at the important academic skills of summary & analysis, it asks you to think critically about the Preface program, and it requires you to argue whether or not a particular event succeeds at fulfilling the goals of that program.
For each response, write a one-page letter to the PREFACE Planning Committee evaluating the value and impact of the event you attended.
- First, briefly summarize the event. Provide all relevant information, such as when and where the event took place, how many were in attendance, and what was presented at the event.
- Second, evaluate how well the event met the goals of the PREFACE program. These goals to help USC Upstate first-year students make connections to each other and to the university and community, to practice skills and explore ideas that contribute to success in college, and to discuss how a deeper understanding of a shared reading can inform the way we make personal decisions and influence public policy today.
- Provide evidence to support your claims based on your experience of the cultural event. Remember your audience: offer any negative evaluations in a respectful, constructive way and provide suggestions for ways to improve.