PREFACE Event Essay
You’ll attend 2 PREFACE events this semester and write an essay about each one.
- Due date: No later than 1 week after the event. You must attend at least one event no later than October 6.
- Choice of events: For a complete schedule, point your web browser to http://www.uscupstate.edu/preface and scroll down.
- Submission instructions: Submit via Blackboard. Click on “Assignments” and then choose “PREFACE essay”
- Length: 300 to 450 words
- Format: MLA Style
This assignment provides you with practice at the important academic skills of summary & analysis, it asks you to think critically about the Preface program, and it requires you to argue whether or not a particular event succeeds at fulfilling the goals of that program.
For each response, write a one-page letter to the PREFACE Planning Committee evaluating the value and impact of the event you attended.
- First, briefly summarize the event. Provide all relevant information, such as when and where the event took place, how many were in attendance, and what was presented at the event.
- Second, evaluate how well the event met the goals of the PREFACE program. These goals are to help USC Upstate first-year students make connections to each other and to the University, to practice the skills that contribute to success in college, and to discuss how a deeper understanding of events can inform the way we make personal decisions and influence public policy.
- Provide evidence to support your claims based on your experience of the cultural event. Remember your audience: offer any negative evaluations in a respectful, constructive way and provide suggestions for ways to improve.
Be sure to format your paper according to MLA guidelines: 1-inch margins, the font Times New Roman, 12-point type, double spaced text, indented first lines for every paragraph. In the upper lefthand corner of your first page, type your name, my name, the name of the course, and the date of the draft. In the header of each page, in the upper righthand corner, include your last name and the page number.