English 371: Final Exam Study Guide
Putting the proposal package together
OGWB Lesson 15, WGSBS Step 10, and WGSBS Step 11
- The various components, what they should include, how to make them effective
- Cover Letter
- Abstract / Executive Summary
- Table of Contents
- Problem Statement / Needs Statement
- Project Description
- Goals and Objectives
- Organization information
Project Description: Goals and Objectives
OGWB Lesson 8 and WGSBS Step 4
- The difference between goals and objectives.
- How to create effective goals.
- How to create effective objectives.
- Why your project needs goals and objectives.
- Aligning your project's goals and objectives with those of the grantmaker.
Project Description: Methods
OGWB Lesson 9 and WGSBS Step 5
- Why your project need a methods section.
- How the methods section is related to the goals and objectives.
- Why your project needs a timeline.
- How to create an effective timeline.
Project Description: Evaluation
OGWB Lesson 11 and WGSBS Step 6
- Why your project needs an evaluation section.
- Who is responsible for project evaluation.
- How to build evaluation into your project.
- The difference between using qualitative and quantitative data in evaluation.
- The difference between process evaluation and project evaluation.
- How the evaluation section is connected to the other sections of the Project Description.
Capacity and Sustainability
OGWB Lesson 13, 14 and WGSBS Step 7, 9
- Why grant makers care about sustainability.
- Ways to address the sustainability question.
- Why grant makers care about capacity.
- Ways to address the capacity question.
OGWB Lesson 12 and WGSBS Step 8
- What kinds of costs grants cover.
- The differences between direct and indirect costs.
- The differences between an operating budget and a program budget.
- The purpose of having both a budget form and a budget narrative.
Relationships with funders
OGWB Lesson 16 and WGSBS Step 12
- Why funders might want to visit your site
- What to do if funders want to visit your site
- What to do if your proposal is funded
- What to do if your proposal is not funded
What funders are looking for
OGWB Funders Roundtable II
- The importance of need
- How to demonstrate need
- Setting (and reaching) measurable objectives
- Evidence of capacity and sustainability
- The importance of evaluation