[Back to homepage]
English 371: Cover Letter
- Length: No more than 1 page (2 or 3 paragraphs)
- Format: Standard business letter format.
- Relevant assigned readings:
- Lesson 15 "Front and Back: The Cover Page or Cover Letter, the Abstract, the Table of Contents, and the Appendix" in OGWB
- Step 11 "Putting the Package Together" in WGSBS
As explained in WGSBS, "[o]rganizations need to craft a brief, yet informative cover letter that will serve as the first piece of information the funder reads" (97). In this letter you should
- Introduce the organization making the request,
- Describe very briefly the project detailed in the grant proposal package,
- Mention how much money is being asked for,
- Explain why the grantfunder is a good match for your organization and this project, and
- Thank them for considering your request.
Download and read these Cover Letters
Cover Letter evaluation criteria
Adapted from OGWB and WGSBS
- Briefly introduces the organization making the request.
- Specifically mentions the financial request: how much and for what.
- Briefly summarizes the most important aspects of the project or program.
- Includes 1 or 2 reasons you’re applying to this particular foundation.
- Clearly indicates who to contact should the foundation have questions.
- Correctly formatted as a business letter.
- No more than 1 page. No more than 2 or 3 paragraphs.
- Document is clearly written, easily digestible, avoids using jargon, and does not make the reader have to work to understand the point.
- Writing is mechanically and grammatically correct, free from significant errors that detract from meaning.