Setting up your work environment
Where do I save my files?
- Flash drive You should have a flash drive where you save the files you're working on for this class.
- Backup You should maintain a backup of the files you have on your flash drive. I strongly suggest you use OneDrive, but the choice is up to you.
What software do I use?
Option 1: Use Spartan Greensky You can use the
LLC Williams desktop environment in Spartan GreenSky to access the necessary software to do your work
Option 2: Download the software Alternately, you can download the necessary software to use on your own computer
- Use your text editor for HTML or CSS work
- Use the Firefox web browser to view the html documents you create
- Use your FTP client to put files on your student web space
- Mac: Cyberduck https://cyberduck.io (Click on the link labeled "Download" under the big yellow duck.)
- PC: WinSCP http://winscp.net/ (Click on "Go to Download page" and then click "Installation package.")
- Keep file names all lowercase.
- Use hyphens or underscores instead of spaces in file names.
grilled cheese sandwich.html
- Troubleshoot any problems you may run into:
- Check the help sections of the sites where you download the software
- Google the problem that you've encountering, e.g. "How do you using "
- Tweet a request for help (using hashtags wisely). See if the software company has a support account on Twitter, and if they do, Tweet at them.
- Ask a fellow student
- Skype me (ProfGeorgeWilliams) or Tweet at me (@GeorgeOnline)
- Create a folder on your flash drive called
english318 or something similar
- In this folder you will store various files and also subfolders
- Inside your
english318 folder, create these folders (i.e. subfolders):
- Keep your files organized in the right folder, depending on which project they belong to.